Croydon is a area in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia positioned close to 28 km east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Croydon carries a population of nearly 27,000 people. The property that eventually became Croydon was first utilized during the 1840’s by settlers for the grazing of farm animals. The main road in the location was known as Sawmill road as a result of sawmill nearby. Later it was altered to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s that it was modified to what it is identified these days as Mt Dandenong Road. The area itself was first named White Flats as the area was greatly populated by a coarse silvery-white type grass. The name of Croydon was given to it from the Lacey family who originated from Essx, England who called it after the Croydon in the UK which was Mrs. Lacey's home town. Nearby the present Main St shopping area is a road called after the Lacey family.
Parcels of land in the area were first mapped in 1868 and also the region was initially formally habituated with the location emphasizing the farming of sheep, dairy and beef. There have been several sawmills established. After that, there have been orchards that included apples, cherries, pears, peaches along with plums which thrived. Some of the present street names around Croydon today echo that first uses of the area.. In 1874 Cobb & Co started a service using horses and carts to the region. A railroad track to the region was opened on 1 December 1882 and the train station was labeled Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte that was deceiving as that area was a horse and coach journey 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it was redubbed to become called the Croydon train station. In the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish built his homestead and began several other businesses which involved a general store, news agency, butchers store as well as a hotel. Also, he established various orchard trees. The Croydon Postal Service was opened on 1 December 1883. The nearby Nelson's Hill Post Office launched in 1902 and was later on relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. In Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall had been constructed. Croydon was finally declared and gazetted being a city in 1912.
In 1920 a Monday market place was began in Croydon including live animals, chickens, other birds along with other small animals. It became a noted landmark in the region and a popular meeting location for locals from nearby suburbs prior to the site was re-constructed in the 80s. It was finally closed down in 2012. For local government purposes, Croydon was initially a part of the thing that was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a demand was submitted by officials for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and be its own regulating organization. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was proclaimed as a City in 1971. Later, it was merged, along with the City of Ringwood being the City of Maroondah in 1994. These days, the Main Street of Croydon is a growing community heart with nearly 200 traders.